- Contributing Editor/Advisory Board/Writer for the national publications: Dance Spirit, Dance Teacher, and Stage Directions Magazine from 1997-current. (Publication name is Diane Smagatz-Rawlinson). Over 110 articles/columns published on a range of topic including: careers, costuming, teaching methods, outreach programs, teacher mentorship, professional profiles, production timelines, student travel, arts management, and interview with Broadway scene designer.
- Authored book: Making the Connection: A Comparison of Dance in the Concert Versus Worship Setting. 1 Dec 1989. by Doug Adams and Diane Smagatz-Rawlinson
- 2021 Township High School District 214 “Friends of the Arts” Award
- 2019 Illinois Teacher of the Year “Those Who Excel” Meritorious Award
- 2019, 2012, 2002 Principal’s Award Wheeling High School and 1996 Outstanding Contribution to Education WHS
- 2014 Chicago’s Ruth Page Award presented by Chicago’s professional dance community for work as a mentor, advocate, and educator.
- 2007 University of Wisconsin- Madison School of Education Distinguished Alumni
- 2006 Illinois Alliance for Arts Education Dance Educator of the year
- 2002 Midwest Dance Educator (National Dance Association), finalist for National Dance Educator, 2001 Illinois Dance Educator
Membership and Professional Affiliations
- One of the first certified leaders of InterPlay International (CA). Currently a Dance Education Specialist and served on the Advisory Board for 3 terms.
- ERYT-300 (Experienced Registered Yoga Teacher)
- Advised local organizations on their outreach/high school initiatives including the Joffrey Ballet of Chicago’s
- Planning committee for NDEO (National Dance Education Organization) conference Chicago and directed the AAHPERD National Gala Concert
- Sacred Dance Guild National Festival Director.
- Youth Volunteer Coordinator for Chicago’s Dance For Life.
- Illinois State Board of Education Licensure Testing System (ILTS) Item Review Committee.